Paul wrote:

> cards that do not use DMA should generally be considered inferior
> because of the extra CPU cycles they force on the host system.

not generally. i.e. the pinnacle/fiji way is to map a piece of memory into
the pc's memory space.
thus an application using alsa-mmap can write (or read) directly into the
cards pcm-memory.
pretty efficiently, don't you think? (except that its ISA-memory)
(it can do so with 2 or 3 periods per buffer).
I don't see any drawback here caused by the lack of DMA.

regards, Karsten