>>hmm, it's not so easy, since this will break also the assumption of
>>constant period "frames" by applications.  if we introduce the
>>time-based period size, it won't work as compatible as older one,
>>e.g. jack wouldn't run properly if the period size changes
>>dynamically.

this isn't true, or if it is true, it can be fixed fairly easily. what
you might mean is that some JACK clients won't run well under such
circumstances, but the JACK alsa driver/client is written to "present"
uniform "period" sizes to JACK. the fact that the ALSA driver itself
doesn't do this won't affect JACK - we will instead still break up the
"stream" into uniform-sized chunks.

--p