Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>

>>Currently, the state of play is that "snd_pcm_hw_params_can_pause ()"
>>should not be called until one has first done the first
>>"snd_pcm_hw_params()"
>>
>>I start with
>>snd_pcm_hw_params_any(this->audio_fd, params);
>>then go about setting params, e.g.
>>snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access()
>>snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format()
>>etc.
>>Then
>>snd_pcm_hw_params()
>>then
>>snd_pcm_hw_params_can_pause (params)
>>
>>If the "snd_pcm_hw_params_can_pause (params)" goes before the
>>"snd_pcm_hw_params()" an invalid result is returned. I.E. the result is
>>always 1 even for cards which don't support it.
>>
>>I think the documentation should make it clear when one should use
>>"snd_pcm_hw_params_can_pause ()".
>>or maybe "snd_pcm_hw_params_any()" should be modified to correctly fill
>>the "can_pause" bit.
>>Maybe I have missunderstood the API, but I would prefer the approach of
>>first retrieving the current hw params, then go about modifying it, then
>>writting it back. If one has not set any hw params yet, it would fill
>>

>But what's "current configuration"? What you want to prefer? rate?
>channels? period_size? No, application should give these hints to driver.
>

>>the structure with the most general case, then allow the application to
>>set params to further restrict the config.
>>I had assumed that "snd_pcm_hw_params_any()" did the retrieving of the
>>current hw params, but reset to the least restrictive settings. I don't
>>think "can_pause" is anything an application can set, the hardware on
>>the card decides that, so the "snd_pcm_hw_params_any()" should cause
>>"can_pause" to return a valid setting that matches the hardware, instead
>>of having to wait for the params to be written to the card with
>>"snd_pcm_hw_params()" before "can_pause" is set accurately.
>>

>All these functions needs exactly one configuration at input.
>The snd_pcm_hw_params() function chooses one configuration and sets it to
>hardware. I've updated documentation.
>
>                                               Jaroslav

Thanks for the documentation update. I currently use the inline docs
contained in alsa-lib/pcm/pcm.c. Is that the ones you update ? I only
mentioned it because I made the mistake of putting the can_pause()
before the snd_pcm_hw_params() without knowing that it would not work
correctly, so I just wanted the documentation to be updated so that no
one else would make the same mistake.
I think the point I was trying to make is that one should be able to call
snd_pcm_hw_can_pause() at any time. One should not have to wait until
one has snd_pcm_hw_params() has been called. At this point I am assuming
that the result of "snd_pcm_hw_can_pause()" is always constant, and does
not depend of any hw_params that have been set. But now I come to think
of it, this might not be true. I think the SB Live can do pause/resume
in normal mode, but cannot do it in AC3 passthru mode using the DSP TRAM.

But as a general point, this does not really matter too much to me now,
because I will be using snd_pcm_hw_params_current() that you have kindly
added to the API. ;-)
I will have to wait until the next release of alsa09 before I actually
code the change, because I cannot expect all my users to install alsa09
from CVS. :-(

As a sub note, maybe snd_pcm_can_pause() should return some sort of
error code, or throw an assert if the application programmer has put it
before snd_pcm_hw_params() instead of returning a perfectly useable
result that is baseless. I think an assert() would be acceptable, as
this is a application programming error and not a user initiated error.
It would then force the application programmer to "get it right first
time". ;-)

Cheers
James