At Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:21:20 -0000,
Nick French wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a KV7MM+ board with via8235
>
> I also had the same problem and this does indeed fix it. I changed the
> volume in asound.state and did alsactl restore 0
>
> is there anyway to get it so that it is the master volume as aumix and other
> applications cannot change the volume now.
>
> any mapping file I can change so that Headphone becomes master.

you can remap the oss mixer elements.

        # echo VOLUME Headphone 0 > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer

see alsa-kernel/Documentation/OSS-Emulation.txt for details.

btw, please send us the lspci -vv and lspci -nv of your sound chip
("multimedia" in the list).  this info will be necessary in the future
to build a quirk list.