Hi,

At Wed, 5 Feb 2003 03:51:09 -0600,
Mark J Roberts wrote:

> alsa-{kernel,lib} cvs, kernel 2.5.49, audigy2 platinum.
>
> Output jack adjacent to firewire connector works; "Wave       Surround"
> volume control functions normally.
>
> The next jack over also works; its left and right channel volumes
> are controlled independently by "Wave LFE" and "Wave Center".
>
> The output levels of all these jacks seems 12db lower than the main
> output of my audigy1. I suspect this is normal and has something to
> do with the 12db boost option I read about. The sound quality seems
> good. The noise floor seems lower than the old card.

oh thanks, that's good to know.

> All controls may be turned to zero save for "Wave LFE", "Wave
> Center", or "Wave Surround"; it will work fine, and the other
> controls, like "Master" and "PCM", have no effect.

this means that ac97 is not routed as audigy1.  perhaps a different
bus is assigned.

> The next jack is always silent; the "Wave" control (my guess as to
> what should be controlling it) does nothing.

what kind of output is expected on this jack?

> However, the livedrive
> headphone output _does_ work, and _is_ volume-controlled properly by
> "Wave". (Its output level is no higher than the other two jacks,
> which reminds me of something I read in an audigy1 review - that the
> headphone output was weaker than the line1 output.)
>
> Both joystick and livedrive MIDI outputs work, but neither MIDI
> input will read anything. I've tried plugging in a keyboard and also
> directly looping one of the outputs to one of the inputs, to no
> effect.

this might be a bug of the driver, but not sure, atm.
could you check whether interrupt counts increase when you receive a
midi input?

> Livedrive RCA-SPDIF output works, but it's possible to get weird
> distortion (sounds like chimey bell tone things accentuating the
> music) if I configure the mixer certain ways. What's needed to make
> it work is to simply turn up "Wave"; everything else may be off. If
> I turn up "PCM" the weird chime distortion starts. (Addendum: I
> can't reproduce this reliably, so it may depend on other state.)

hmm..  it seems that on audigy2, ac97 playback volumes should be kept
zero.

> arecord seems capable of recording audio that I'm playing from a
> mp3, at the exact level I'm playing it.
>
> So, that's all the testing I've done thus far. Maybe somebody will
> find this useful. Meanwhile, I'll try to get the MIDI input going
> by... umm. Staring at it real hard, maybe? Oh well.

thanks for your tests!
perhaps i'll get audigy2 for tests, too, and will take a deeper look.

ciao,