On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 04:05:30PM +0100, PIETER PALMERS wrote:
> The best starting point is gathering info. Without good info, developement isn't
> easy. But you seem to be lucky, because I found the following on the website of
> Marian (www.marian.de):
> "Developers of drivers can obtain all information on the hardware architecture
> of our cards, which is necessary for developing drivers for such operating
> systems that are not supplied."
>
> I'd say getting this info is the first step.
>
> Next I'd recommend you to read the "Writing an alsa driver" document by Takashi
> Iwai. It can be found on the ASLA website. You could try and find an existing
> ALSA driver of a card that resembles your cards architecure. Might be usefull
> when reading the tutorial. After finishing the tutorial, you'll know what to do.
>
> btw: are you sure the card doesn't support DMA? The PLX 9052 supports DMA, and I
> can't imagine Marian not using it.

Doesn't use DMA?! Maybe this card runs in the same way like the rme cards
(rme32, rme96, rme9652, hdsp): In this case you copy data from/to the card and
set a startbit on the register. After that you get an interrupt. You can
read that details in the RME Digi96 document, which you can found on
ftp.alsa-project.org. Those cards were alsa using a Xilinx FPGA and I think
that they are in some way related to your Marian/Sek'd. (BTW: RME Digi32 was
also sold by Sek'd!). I don't know the details about the pdplus driver, but
maybe it's also interesting for you, because it can be related in some manner.

The first step of writing a driver should be the pci detection without any
driver functionality (study that manual "Writing an alsa driver" therefore
or look at other pci driver code). And if you can modprobe/rmmod an empty
module you can start implementing some functionality to it.

martin