On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 06:38:22PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:26:09 +0200,
> Martin Langer wrote:
> >
> > I've looked into my US122 and there I've found an EZUSB chip. The US428
> > might be the same.
> >
> > I think the first download step which also changes the ID has to be the ezusb
> > firmware.
> >
> > After comparing that sniffed log with some available windows binaries from
> > Tascam, I finally found the data in US122DL.SYS/US428DL.SYS/US224DL.SYS.
> > Instead of loading the sniffed file it could also be an extract from
> > USx2xDL.SYS (it should be similar to the MidiSport firmware extract and
>
> it's nice.  could you compare the stuff with the one in Karsten's
> patch?
>
> > That could be an easy way to move the first firmware part away from the driver
> > directory. And we won't need another ok from Tascam for including
> > sniffed us224/us122 firmware...
>
> yep.  that would be far much better.

Success. US122 behaves like a normal ezusb device. And the whole USx2x
family is using the same loader. I think we are at a point where we can
remove that firmware stuff of "us428fw8000.h" and use fxload with an
extracted firmware. Ok, a final test on us428 should be done before.

Pedro's Tascam USx2x extractor/loader is already here and Clemens is on the
way to create an sf project for this wonderful ezusb stuff for MidiSport,
Tascam devices (and maybe more in the future).

> * what's the reason of the independent snd-usb-us428-dl module?
>   this module seems doing only feeding the firmware to the interface,
>   so why not in snd-usb-us428 itself?  this will reduce the use of
>   inter_module_* stuffs which are obsolete in 2.6 kernels.

I think the main reason was a different PCI ID for loading us428fw8000.h.
And the other firmware part was originally in snd-usb-us428 IIRC!
Ok, removing the sniffed ezusb firmware is a good reason to forget the
snd-usb-us428-dl idea completely! I agree.

martin