We went ahead and added code to our alsa client software to cleanly return to a PCM value of 0 and then stuffed a full buffer worth of 0s into the buffer before closeing the PCM in order to solve our pop problem. I'm not sure how the OSS emulation stuff works since we don't use it, but maybe it could use this same treatment? I'm assuming we don't want to change OSS client programs to fix it, so that would leave something in the emulation layer that should be changed. Perhaps OSS automagically does this cleanup? Mark, have you tried using the real OSS? Do the pops happen with OSS?

Also, it seems strange to have to do this in client programs when the problem is with specific cards/chipsets not doing their own cleanup. Maybe the drivers of the cards should do the cleanup so the client software doesn't have to know what card they're running on? Just putting this forward for discussion, not voluteering to do the work (I've already got my hands full with the serial MIDI driver, thanks). :)

- Steve

Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi,
   I want to report that I've built alsa-1.0.0rc1 under Gentoo with q
2.4.20-r7 kernel. Thanks to Thomas Charbonnel for the help with the
ebuilds. If any other Gentoo users need the ebuilds, then contact me off
list.

   Unfortunately this release does not impact my loud glitch/pop noise
on the HDSP 9652 when using OSS applications. The results are the same
as I reported over the last few weeks.

   I have not run significant Alsa audio yet to talk about how that's
working. The OSS fix was the one I was most hoping for, and I haven't
had many Alsa problems anyway.

- Thanks,
Mark