I've been complaining about oops on a Sony Viao Z505S laptop, in the
end most likely due to problems with shared IRQ's.  With some helpful
suggestons of Takashi on orders of loading things (USB->ALSA->X) I
avoided a crash most of the time.

Yesterday, I upgraded to the new 2.4.23 kernel.  It seems they've
modified the IRQ sharing code.  I've been unable to get alsa to crash
the system or Oops since (including with a CVS update of an hour ago).
The order of loading the modules doesn't matter either.

Thanks for all your help.

David