Karsten Wiese wrote:
>> Now comes the weird part. No, I couldn't get it to work unless I set
>> --with-debug=full on configure line. And I've tested several times,
>> believe me.
>>
>> FYI, I'm stick with 2.6 kernel tree, and already tested with 2.6.4 and
>> latest 2.6.5.
>>
>> My way of building the kernel modules is from stock tarball, and is
>> pretty canonical, as literally as follows (all as root):
>>
>>   tar -jxf alsa-driver-1.0.4.tar.bz2
>>   cd alsa-driver-1.0.4
>>   gzip -dc ../alsa-driver-1.0.4p1.patch.gz   # see attachment
>>   ./configure --with-isapnp=no --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes
>> --with-cards=all --with-debug=full
>>   make
>>   make install
>>
>> As stated, the INPUT MONITOR LED does not get lit if I take out the
>> clause --with-debug=full.
>>
>> How come?
> You don't use --with-kernel option.
> Are you shure ALSA build sees the correct linux-kernel source?

My current linux kernel source is always under /usr/src/linux, a pretty
standard place. I always build the alsa-driver's under and for the current
running kernel.

But as I said, the issue is only triggered by whether the --with-debug
configure option is there. The build environment remains exactly the same,
so I think.

> What distro are you using?

SUSE 9.0 on a desktop, and Mandrake 10.0 on a laptop. The results are, not
surprisingly, the same (the build steps are the same too, without
--with-kernel option).

> On some (i.e. fc1) you'd have to specify a special gcc like
>       export CC=gcc32
> befure ./configure.

Is there any issue with gcc 3.3, which I think is the one I'm using ?

> I'm building a no debug ALSA here with a 2.6.5-aa1 kernel.
> maybe I'll find something.....

Thanks for the patience.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela