On 03/04/2004, at 4:41 PM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Tim Hollingsworth wrote:

Thanks for your help so far Jaroslav.

I have taken another look at my project and now it's behaving
differently!  It still won't go down to a period size of 128.

I have downloaded the example sine wave generator.  It works with the
default settings, which give a period size of 4410.  If I change the
period time using the command line, it will successfully go down to
441/10000us.  Any further and I get this error:

ALSA lib pcm.c:824:(snd_pcm_sw_params) snd_pcm_sw_params:
params->avail_min problem for start_threshold
Unable to set sw params for playback: Invalid argument
Setting of swparams failed: Invalid argument

Fixed in CVS.

OK cool that error has gone now. Back to newbie period size problems (*groan*). The target system has a VIA VT8233 sound chip. I tried the sine generator on another system which has a soundblaster live, and it will indeed take very low period sizes. As you said.

Can I configure the VIA chip to take the period size I want, or is it a hardware limitation? Which settings do I mess with?

TIA
Tim