On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:49:31PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> at the risk of endlessly repeating myself,

If you're being asked this frequently, I'd recommend adding some notes to
the documentation, recommending using poll() and not SND_PCM_ASYNC, and
offering a brief explanation like this one.

> SIGIO is basically
> useless. your handler executes in signal-handling context, and can do
> very, very little. not even all system calls are legal in this context.
> SIGIO is basically a "poor man's thread system", and not much more.

Practical use aside, isn't that common conditions for a sound callback
(which under some architectures, as I understand it, are called from an
interrupt)?

By the way, do you have a reference to system calls which are not legal
from a signal handler in Linux?  I've never seen things not work in a
signal handler, even when writing a crash handler that forks a child (to
output crash info in a clean environment) and at one point even did some
ptracing of other threads, all from a SIGSEGV handler.

--
Glenn Maynard