what do you mean set the IEC958 status bits? who sets it? atiixp.c?

my board is a gigabyte GA-8TRS300M with ATIIXP/ALC655 and i test by running
aplay with a wav file and ac3dec with an ac3 file. with alsa-cvs using bith
aplay and ac3dec, software says it is playing but i get no sound, the
optical spdif light is not lit. with realtek-alsa-1.0.4, the software says
it is playing, still no sound but the optical spdif light is on. i am

alex