Lloyd,
   The 1394 stack for Linux handles hot plugging very badly. Just 15
minutes ago I couldn't get my audio session drive to be recognized at
all. I had it running this morning, unmounted it and turned it off. The
machine was left on for a couple of hours without the drive mounted.

   I came back, powered up the drive, did a rescan-scsi-bus, and tried
to mount it. rescan-scsi-bus saw the drive, but it absolutely would not
mount. After messing around for 15 minutes doing all the stuff I'm
supposed to do, I gave up and rebooted.

   The drive was recognized right away.

Mark