Hi,

Recently installed alsa-driver rc8b and alsa-lib rc8c on a gentoo box,
with a egosys U2A usb sound device run under the snd-usb-audio driver.

I'm trying to make the dmix plugin work with it. My .asoundrc looks
like:

---------------------------------

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmix:RATE=44100"
}

---------------------------------

I'm just trying to play a simple wave file with aplay. The first
instance works ok, then the second instance prints the following:

---------------------------------

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1434:(snd_pcm_dmix_initialize_poll_fd) unable to open timer
'hw:CLASS=3,SCLASS=0,CARD=0,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1583:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to initialize poll_fd

aplay: main:462: audio open error: Device or resource busy

---------------------------------

I'm not quite sure what this means, but I saw the word "timer" and
figured maybe I had to modprobe the snd-timer module, but that does not
seem to make a difference.

I'm not really sure what's going on so I figured I'd just ask, is the
dmix plugin known to work with the usb drivers? is there some
configuration step that I'm missing?

I know the U2A device has a non-conventional mixer.. there is no real
way as far as i know to access it through linux. Windows comes with a
special utility that allows you to control gain and input/output
selection..

Not sure if it will help to diagnose, but

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /dev/snd > ls -l                              -{Sun Mar 09
[11:34pm]}-
合計 0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio    116,   0 1969-12-31 16:00 controlC0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio    116,  24 1969-12-31 16:00 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----    1 root     audio    116,  16 1969-12-31 16:00 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio    116,  33 1969-12-31 16:00 timer

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /dev/snd > /sbin/lsmod                        -{Sun Mar 09
[11:34pm]}-
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
snd-usb-audio          42816   0
snd-pcm                64960   0 [snd-usb-audio]
snd-page-alloc          5292   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-timer              15688   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi            14688   0 [snd-usb-audio]
snd-seq-device          4416   0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd                    32356   0 [snd-usb-audio snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3972   0 [snd]
rtc                     7548   0 (autoclean)
NVdriver             1067264  10
printer                 7552   0
keybdev                 2016   0 (unused)
mousedev                4500   0 (unused)
hid                    15016   0 (unused)
input                   3616   0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
uhci                   30960   0 (unused)
usbcore                72384   1 [snd-usb-audio printer hid uhci]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /dev/snd > aplay -l                           -{Sun Mar 09
[11:34pm]}-
card 0: U2A [Waveterminal U2A], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thanks in advance,
Ken