I recently got a Shuttle XPC that I hoped to use as a "media center."
PVR, DVD player, and so forth. After some tinkering, I got most of the
built in sound to work. When I run alsamixer, it detects the following:

x Card: VIA 8235

x Chip: Avance Logic ALC650 rev 0

So far so good, right? Well, I've gotten analog sound to work, regular
ditigal sound through the optical connection on the front panel works as
well. I run "aplay -D spdif sample.wav", and it plays out through optical
port, into the receiver, and out through the speakers. Even the analog to
IE958 seems to work nicely. Very handy feature, that!

The biggest pain is that I cannot get AC-3 passthrough to work properly.
If I take that optical cable and plug it into my other Linux desktop
(i8x0 chipset) and run xine or mplayer, the AC-3 data gets passed through
to my receiver, the "multi-channel decoding" light pops on, and it shows
the various channels, the strenght of the subwoofer, and whether the
digital signal is dolby or dts.

None of the above happens when I connect the optical line to the Shuttle.
I just seem to get regular non-dolby5.1 output. The odd thing is is when
I press the "Auto format decode" button on my reciever, then I get the
left and right channels (missing the dialog of the dvd since that's the
center channel), but I hear all 6 channels' worth of sound if on the
receiver, I select it to put all sound to those speakers.

I've tried this with xine, ogle, mplayer, no dice. It happens when I take
a vob and play it as follows (character for character, this is the exact
same thing mplayer reports when playing it on my desktop with the i8x0,
where the receiver picked up the signal properly).

$ mplayer -ao alsa9 -ac hwac3 dts-experience.vob
Playing dts-experience.vob
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29.97 fps  7000.0 kbps (875.0
kbyte/s)
Forced audio codec: hwac3
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3 pass-through SP/DIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x400), ratio: 48000->192000 (384.0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [hwac3] afm:hwac3 (AC3 through SPDIF)
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Mpeg PES)
VDec: using Mpeg PES as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [null] 720x480 => 720x540 Mpeg PES
Selected video codec: [mpegpes] vfm:mpegpes (Mpeg PES output (.mpg or
Dxr3/DVB card))
Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/8bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 48000 hz, big endian AC3
AF_pre: 48000Hz 2ch AC3
alsa-init: testing and bugreports are welcome.
alsa-init: requested format: 48000 Hz, 2 channels, AC3
alsa-init: soundcard set to iec958:AES0=0x2,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2
alsa9: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little
Endian
AO: [alsa9] 48000Hz 2ch AC3 (1 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/8bit...
[format] Sample format big endian AC3  not yet supported
Couldn't find matching filter / ao format!
Starting playback...

Things got even worse when I tried alsa 0.9.4 today. I compiled that
release and found most of the digital features that I had been using were
no longer supported at all! No Analog to IE958 option, aplay -D spdif
gave errors that the PCM didn't exist, there was no 'IEC958 Playback
AC97-SPSA' option in the mixer anymore, and all the "Via DXS" controls
(whatever those do) were gone too. So I went back to 0.9.3c. It works,
but something is happening to the signal so that it's not being properly
recognized by the receiver.

General information about the system:

Athlon, Via chipset:

$ /sbin/lsmod | sort
8139too                17512   1
agpgart                37716   1
ati_remote              6520   0 (unused)
fbcon-cfb16             5672   0 [matroxfb_crtc2 matroxfb_accel]
fbcon-cfb24             5896   0 [matroxfb_accel]
fbcon-cfb32             5544   0 [matroxfb_crtc2 matroxfb_accel]
fbcon-cfb8              5096   0 [matroxfb_accel]
g450_pll                4228   0 [matroxfb_DAC1064]
hid                    21924   0 (unused)
i2c-algo-bit            8776   3 [i2c-matroxfb]
i2c-core               19012   0 [matroxfb_maven i2c-algo-bit]
i2c-matroxfb            5716   0 (unused)
ieee1394               47308   0 [ohci1394]
input                   5664   0 [ati_remote keybdev mousedev hid]
keybdev                 2880   0 (unused)
matroxfb_accel          9608   0 [matroxfb_base matroxfb_DAC1064]
matroxfb_base          22180  64 [matroxfb_crtc2 i2c-matroxfb]
matroxfb_crtc2          9428   0
matroxfb_DAC1064        9968   0 [matroxfb_crtc2 matroxfb_base]
matroxfb_maven         13020   0 (unused)
matroxfb_misc          17564   0 [matroxfb_maven matroxfb_crtc2 i2c-matroxfb
matroxfb_base matroxfb_DAC1064 g450_pll matroxfb_accel]
mga                   102976   0 (unused)
mga_vid                10040   0
mii                     3912   0 [8139too]
mousedev                5396   1
ohci1394               20072   0 (unused)
sg                     31340   0 (autoclean)
snd                    42948   1 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx snd-pcm
snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
snd-ac97-codec         47720   0 [snd-via82xx]
snd-mixer-oss          16344   0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-mpu401-uart         5136   0 [snd-via82xx]
snd-page-alloc          8436   0 [snd-via82xx snd-pcm]
snd-pcm                84608   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx]
snd-pcm-oss            44676   1 (autoclean)
snd-rawmidi            18752   0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          6268   0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd-timer              19716   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-via82xx            16576   1
soundcore               6468   4 [snd]
sr_mod                 15896   2 (autoclean)
udf                    96384   1 (autoclean)

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.3c.
Compiled on Jun  8 2003 for kernel 2.4.20 with versioned symbols.

$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 11 [73%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 11 [73%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Down Mix',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center/LFE Down Mix',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line-In As Surround',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic As Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 24 [77%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Input Monitor',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 15
  Mono: Playback 10 [67%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 15
  Front Left: Capture 11 [73%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 11 [73%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [on]
  Front Right: Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Analog to IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Duplicate Front',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Exchange Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier Power Down',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',1
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Swap Surround Slot',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',1
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',2
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',3
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]

$ cat card0/ac97#0
0-0/0: Avance Logic ALC650 rev 0

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 20-bit
ADC resolution   : 18-bit
3D enhancement   : Realtek 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=1 LDAC SDAC CDAC DSA=0 SPDIF DRA VRA
Extended status  : SPCV LDAC SDAC CDAC SPDIF=3/4 SPDIF VRA
PCM front DAC    : 48000Hz
PCM Surr DAC     : 48000Hz
PCM LFE DAC      : 48000Hz
PCM ADC          : 48000Hz
SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Copyright Category=0x2 Generation=1 Rate=48kHz