[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a problem running q3-based games, because my ALSA sound card 0 does not
> output in stereo (appearently because it prefers 10-channel, 32-bit). So I've
> tried for hours to get ALSA to change the card numberings, so that my onboard
> soundmodule becomes card #0.
>
>   From the documentation this should be accomplished by aliasing snd-card-0 to
> the  right driver, but it doesn't.
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
> alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
>
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-slot-1

The snd-card-x entries tell Linux which driver to load when some
program tries to access /dev/dspX and there isn't yet a driver for
this device file. But the driver will then occpuy the first free sound
card entry, unless you explicitly tell it otherwise. So add these
lines:

        options snd-ice1712 index=0
        options snd-intel8x0 index=1

(or the other way round)

> It's possible to change the 'default' card by changing
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, but q3 doesn't reckognize this - it
> appears it only wants to use card #0.

The device named "default" is used by ALSA applications, but Q3 uses
the OSS emulation.

HTH
Clemens