I'm no ALSA or Linux expert, but I have learned a couple of things I
haven't seen elsewhere that might help people looking at this list.

I have two sound "cards" on my machine.  A Soundblaster Live Value
(Gateway OEM version), and a Plantronics DSP-500 USB headphone.  Here's
my /etc/modules.conf

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 8139too
alias usb-controller usb-ohci

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
# card #1 SBLive Value
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# card #2 Plantronix USB
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
alias synth0 snd-emu10k-synth
below snd-seq-oss snd-emu10k1-synth
below snd-card-1 snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-oss snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/sequencer snd-seq-oss

Three things I want to point out about this that others might find
helpful.

1.  The "index" clause on the "options" statements controls the ordering
of sound devices.  In my case, the boot sequence wants to initialize the
USB device first, then the SBlive.  But of course, if the Plantronics
headphones were not plugged in during boot, then the SBlive would
initialize first.  The "index" clauses make sure the SBLive is always
the first device and the Plantronics USB is the second device.

2.  The "below" statements are important.  During boot, the system loads
the snd-usb-audio device first, which tended to also load the OSS
emulation drivers.  Then the SBLive driver would load and also try to
load the OSS drivers, which generally screwed things up.  The "below"
statements force the OSS emulation drivers to load after both sound card
drivers load.

3.  The "cards_limit" clause on the "options" statement is also helpful.
 It tells the system there are only two sound cards.

This is on a RedHat 9 system, by the way.  Your mileage may vary.

I should point out that I haven't been able to get the onboard midi to
work on the SBLive.  The extra "alias" statements are my attempt to get
it working, but so far no luck.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd be
grateful.