My original message:

> I use a stock 2.4.22 kernel and an emu10k1 soundcard.
>
> Alsa-drivers, -libs, and -utils all compile successfully.  However,
> after loading modules with "modprobe snd-emu10k1" the following error
> message occurs when I run alsamixer:
>
> alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> The drivers seem to function properly because I can use aplay to
> play a .wav file without any complaint or error message. (Of course
> I can't hear any sound because the alsamixer can't unmute the soundcard.)
>
> Other utilities such as amixer and alsactl give the same or similar
> error message.
>
> I have searched the archives and this problem has been reported a few
> times before but without any resolution.

This problem has now been SOLVED, and I post the solution for the possible
benefit of any others who have experienced similar difficulty.

Both the kernel and the alsa package were compiled with gcc-2.95.3.
However, for the alsa-libs and the alsa-utilities, I used the following
option string to the compiler.  My intention was to optimize as much as
possible:

CFLAGS='-O2 -pipe -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-double'

The use of these compiler options causes alsamixer to give the error:

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I then tried to compile the alsa-libs and alsa-utils using a different set
of options:

CFLAGS='-O2 -pipe -march=i686'

After compiling with these options, alsamixer now functions without error.

Somehow the '-fomit-frame-pointer' compiler option causes either the alsa-libs
or the alsa-utils to malfunction.  This is my guess.

Perhaps the developers should check into this behavior.

But anyway, I am very glad that alsa is now working properly for me.

Frank Peters