It depends on your sound card, from what I have been able to gather.
The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz apparently cannot mirror the front->rear
channels, for some reason.  I read somewhere it was because the DSP
specifications weren't released by cirrus logic, but I have not found a
solution to this yet, and I've been searching since April.

Using the xmms-alsa plugin with XMMS, you can select which channel to
use: CS46xx (Front), CS46xx-Rear, CS46xx-Center/LFE, CS46xx-IEC958, but
again, you can't specify that you want it to use 4.0 or 5.1-channel
surround (even though the surround40 and surround51 configurations are
included for the driver).

Something I've seen mentioned several times:
> $ cat /proc/asound/card0/ac97#0regs
> 0:7e = 5914
That register is *supposed* to be some other value, for 4-channel sound
to work right, and I don't know what it means, if it is not.

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/12349/2002/1/150/7445841/ (A really
old post, but I don't know if it is still applicable - you would hope
that this has been solved by now, but it's possible that this is still a
problem)
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/notes-full.php3#cs46xx
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=cs46xx