On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 10:16, Steve deRosier wrote:
> We went ahead and added code to our alsa client software to cleanly
> return to a PCM value of 0 and then stuffed a full buffer worth of 0s
> into the buffer before closeing the PCM in order to solve our pop
> problem.  I'm not sure how the OSS emulation stuff works since we don't
> use it, but maybe it could use this same treatment?  I'm assuming we
> don't want to change OSS client programs to fix it, so that would leave
> something in the emulation layer that should be changed.  Perhaps OSS
> automagically does this cleanup?  Mark, have you tried using the real
> OSS?  Do the pops happen with OSS?

No, I haven't tried real OSS. I'm fairly new to Linux audio and have
never used anything other than Alsa in all it's glory. I don't know how
OSS would be installed under Gentoo. I don't see any ebuilds for it. I
presume it will work if I build it from source by hand, but that does
sound like a lot of work.

In my current case the pops only happen with OSS emulation under Alsa.
All files that create pops using OSS emulation work perfectly if I use
any native Alsa app to play them, so I really don't think it's the
source material itself.

I wish I didn't have to use OSS at all. Has anyone accomplished getting
all types of web-based multi-media to work just using Alsa? Any
mime.type files to lead the way?

- Mark