On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 07:12, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> I think we need some little userspace utility that allows to change
> client/port names.  It would have a device database and user-specific
> configuration, so it would be possible to set a port's name to that of
> the external device, too.
>
> (I've added this to my TODO list (which doesn't mean anything).)

It means you are organized enough to have a TODO list. That's good.

<SNIP>

> > I just think that many composer types will not like 72:4 and 80:0.
>
> This is why every GUI shows the client/ports names, too.  :-)

I don't understand this comment. No Alsa MIDI app I've ever run has
shown anything other 72:0 or 80:1. (qjackctl, kaconnect, aconnect,
Rosegarden) Possibly Rosegarden now displays names entered by a user to
describe these in text instead of numbers.

I'm not even suggesting it should be automatic. If I have to configure
something in .asoundrc or somewhere else by hand I'm fine with this.

One other related frustration about Alsa MIDI is that under Gentoo at
least my MidiSport is never recognized by Alsa until I hotplug it. This
may not be true under the Planet flow. I could test that if necessary.

The device is seen very early in the boot process, before Alsa is
loaded, and the USB identification of the device doesn't change, but
Alsa doesn't see it causing me to have to walk over to the unit and pull
plugs before I can use it.

> > 3) I have undocumented low-level 'concerns' about the timing accuracy of
> > MIDI under Linux, but it's not so bad as to warrant 'worry' or a bug
> > report. Just concerns that there is more jitter in my Linux MIDI created
> > audio than on my Windows boxes.
>
> What timer are you using for the sequencer?  The default system timer
> on 2.4.x has a resolution of 100 Hz.  I'm using the timer on my ymfpci
> card with 1000 Hz.  (Yeah, completetely undocumented, that one, like
> the RTC timer.  (TODO: FAQ #15))

This is likely at least part of the problem. Is fixing/improving this
done by changing the 'Timer Frequency' in the General Setup section of
menuconfig, or is this some setting on the sound card itself? (Maybe
handled during the alsa-driver build?)

This answer confuses me. Do I need to do something with both 'timers'
AND 'the RTC to make Alsa work better?

Thanks,
Mark