On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 04:03:39PM -0500, Steve Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:48:21PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Steve Jones wrote:
> >
> > > I've tried every reasonable combination, but I still
> > > capture nothing from those inputs. I've tried 'PCM Capture
> > > Source' in each of the three settings ('Mic', 'Input 1' and
> > > 'Input 2'). I've enabled capture for PCM and PCM 1. I've
> > > tried every combination of CAPTUR settings and I've unmuted
> > > everything.
> >
> > This configuration works for me (not very intuitive - I'm
> > planning to reorganize controls a bit):
>
> Thanks! I'll give it a try.

It works, thanks!

So in summary, with the Sound Blaster MP3+ USB I am able to:

    Playback with phones out
    Capture with mic in
    Capture with line ins

with reasonable results for an inexpensive USB card. My S/N is
pretty bad right now, but I think need a decent preamp for my
miked stuff. I've not tried playback through line outs yet nor
optical I/O.

thanks to all who responded!
steve

--
Steve Jones

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of
a dog, it's too dark to read."          -- G. Marx