First, let me apologize a second time...I thought I had found this thread on
Alsa-user, but in fact it was posted to alsa-cvslog.  I imagine it was more
than a bit confusing without the context of the rest of the thread.

The bulk of that message was:
-lm -ldl -lpthread are _not_ needed in Libs (since the alsa interface
doesn't depend on libm, libdl or libpthread interface) and just bring
unneeded dependencies. These should rather be put in Libs.private:

Libs: -L${libdir} -lasound
Libs.private: -lm -ldl -lpthread

See ALSA bug#2212 .
and what follows after that was a difference file for making these changes
to alsa.pc.in

I'm trying to build the library to run on a uClinux target that apparently
does not support libdl.  But when I build the alsa library with
--disable-shared --enable-static it still terminates when it can't find
libdl.

And as you indicate, when I remove all references to -lm -ldl -pthread in
the configuration files, the build terminates with undefined references.

Any help with building the alsa to run under uCLinux would be greatly
appreciated.

John

>From: Benoit Fouet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: r10 kindsofpeople <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] alsa-lib: alsa.pc's Libs shouldn't contain -lm
>-ldl -lpthread
>Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:24:12 +0100
>
>Hi,
>
>r10 kindsofpeople wrote:
> > Please forgive my ignorance, but how can I work around this?
> >
> > I tried editing utils/alsa.pc.in as you indicate and re-running
>./configure,
> > with no change.
> >
> > John
> >
>if you build alsa library without those linkage, you'll have undefined
>reference to some functions (and btw your library will not be built):
>
>gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/aserver aserver.o  ../src/.libs/libasound.so
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `log'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `sqrt'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `sqrtf'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dladdr'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dlclose'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `rint'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `fmod'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pow'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `log10'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `exp'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
>../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
>
>pthread_* => libpthread
>dl* => libdl
>others => libm
>
>why do you want to remove those dependencies ?
>
>Hope that helps you,
>
>Ben

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001