Rene Herman napsal(a):
> On 08/01/2007 04:07 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> From the various threads I've found on this, it appears that the
>> driver broke sometime fairly recently, and that it may indeed work
>> with older kernels.  Perhaps the fault is with the acpi system
>> changes in recent kernels.
>
> The fact that the driver finds the chip at all at least means it's a
> very different problem than the problem Troy is having. I read through
> the things you posted, but it looks scary and probably not any of
> ALSA's doing...
>
> Yes, If you could try for example the latest 2.6.18.x and (if
> neccessary) progressively further down that would probably be the best
> way to start debugging it (and if it's more ACPI related, them
> linux-kernel would be the right list to post results).

HAH!  Success!

Here's the magic incantations on a Compaq Armada 1700, ess1869 chipset,
and 2.6.21 kernel:

boot with noapic acpi=off pci=biosirq

acpi *must* be enabled in the bios, and disabled with a kernel
parameter, otherwise the cooling fan will not work.

edit /etc/modprobe.d/sound to read:

alias snd-card-0 snd-es18xx
options snd-es18xx index=0 enable=1 port=0x220 fm_port=0x388
mpu_port=0x300 irq=5 dma1=0 dma2=1

*DO NOT* use the isapnp=0 parameter.  This will cause insmod to fail.

Strangely, alsaplayer will not work, but xmms works just fine.

--Yan

--
  o__

Linux stuff has made big progress over the competition. When things sit and
don't start right away, we have a watch, and those poor guys have to settle for
an hourglass.