I'm having issues with ardour and audacity, possibly more to do with jackd than
alsa, or something specific to a 64 bit system.  But here's my symptoms as I
see them.

The card works (alsa 1.0.14) or later.  There's a few more mixer options in
1.0.15rc2.  But when running jackd I need to use -n 3 instead of the -n 2
default for the number of periods.  Only using -n 3 makes the recorded sound,
sound like the mixer settings are too high, even though the recorded track is
normal-ish level wise.  With arecord it all sounds fine, but I can't check
recording levels very easily that way.  With arecord I set the alsamixer
settings for mic and digital.

With jackd I set the mixer levels for mic plus capture.  Mic boost is not used
at this point.  With audacity, it sounds fine, but there's a click in the
recorded track at about 120bpm.  These shouldn't be performance issues as it's
an AMD Athlon64 x2 dual core. 1.9GHz per core with 1GB of ram.  The card is in
theory capable of capturing 16, 20, or 24 bit samples at 44.1kHz to 192kHz
sample rates.  And in arecord it seems happy doing so.  But how do I get jackd
happy with the card?  Is there an .asoundrc I can reference that will help?
I'd like to do stereo input, 16 bit, @ 96kHz (or better).

For reference I'm running jackd as follows:
jackd -d alsa -n 3 -d hw:0,0 -S -r 96000
(without the -n 3 there's considerable distortions)
(playback seems fine, but capture is distorted)

I'm currently running the following:
Debian sid - AMD64
Kernel 2.6.22.6 - from kernel.org sources
Ardour 2.0.5 - via the svn branch sources
Jackd 0.103.0-6 - debian package
Alsa 1.0.15rc2 - from sources

Any tips for making things happy?  I'd like to get better sampling than my
other system (laptop).  I'd ultimately like to do multitrack recording which I
cannot do with arecord (to my knowledge anyway).  But I'd be happy with
recordings in a gui app equal to those captured by arecord at this point.

Thanks,
- James