I have the M-Audio MobilePre to use as a preamp for weak microphones.  All of
my current mics are currently 1/8" or adaptered to 1/4".  I've gotten the
device working as an audio out device.  But I have not been able to capture
from it.  I do not have any XLR3 mics and I think it's defaulting to those
ports for input.  How do I get it to input from the other available ports?
Output works fine so far on either the laptop or desktop.  There's some weak
hint of a mic on the other end on the laptop, but so far no such luck on the
desktop.  I have to normalize it to hear any hint of a recording, and it's 99%
noise at that point.  I've played with the very few mixer settings and knobs on
the device with little effect.  Aside from adjusting the level of the noise of
the device itself.

I'm at a loss now.  Any documents I should be referencing?  any hints for using
one or all of several sound devices?  For the moment I have
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-custom setup for the one usb device on the desktop.  I
have it setup for two on the laptop and it works, but defaults to card0 for
pretty much everything.  No asoundrc or dmix setups yet.  qjackctl just shows
two capture and two playback channels for the device which appear to be
connected correctly.  I just bought the device used from craigslist, and am
trying to determine if it works.  Aside from the faulty USB cord that came with
it, it appears to work.  At least for output.

Thanks,
- James