Hi Darrell Bellerive!

 On 2007.11.23 at 04:25:56 -0800, Darrell Bellerive wrote next:

> > Well now, when pulseaudio era came, hopefully it's not true anymore.
>
> Pulseaudio shows some promise, but not all apps support it yet. Wasn't

Most of them do - some through wrappers or alsa->pulse routing, for
example SDL, openal and wine, but unlike jack, it works much better.

The most problematic thing is gstreamer, it works with pulse, but audio
quality suffers for unknow reason (not much, but quite noticeable on
some material, and very annoying if you have good ears).

Besides, with stuff like per-application mixers which stores its state
(a feature you'll fall in love with instantly), on the fly audio card
detection and stream switching, network transparency with transparent
stream migration (just a few clicks to move sounds from your notebook to
home audio system connected to main pc or home media server when you're
home - I find it really useful), high quality resampling and so on
really makes it the most desired think to have in the core of your linux
audio system.

> JACK, and then GStreamer, and soon Phonon, supposed to solve all our

Jack has completely different purpose. It is good (bwt you can run pulse
on top of jack, and some day probably will be able to run jack on top of
pulse - though it wouldn't have much sense).

gstreamer and photon are systems working at different level. They don't
conflict with any sound server and support most of them.

> audio problems? Yet another sound server.

You might think of it like this, however after discovering pulseaudio I
think that it's holy grail of linux audio we've been searching for
years. Still a bit edgy, though.

> > > Also while the Audiophile 24/96 does sample at 96 KHz, the audio
> > > bandwidth of the card is limited to 22 Hz to 22 KHz +/- 0.4 dB.
>
> > Anyway, in analog mode, are you sure there is no option to switch off
> > bandwidth filter?
>
> If there is, it is not documented.
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1712
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Envy24control

Well there are Audiophile 192, Audiophile USB and other cards in
Audiophile series - most are even more interesting than older Audiophile
24/96. So I don't really see any problem.

--

Vladimir