Hi Rene Herman!

 On 2007.11.25 at 15:22:59 +0100, Rene Herman wrote next:

> That 16 kHz -60dB is just about my threshold with good headphones, good card
> set to 0 dB and external amplication cranked up. -57 I hear always, at -60
> it's a little flaky. At those levels, 12-0dB actively hurts...

Well it's not like it means a lot, without knowing resulting loudness of
the signal - for example I can barely hear that -57 at half volume level
of my headphone amplifier, but music is too loud to unbearable at that
level, and comfortable level for replaygain-corrected music is about
quarter volume. However, I have no idea about actual volume of that
sound..

No way I would try to playback 12-0dB sample at full volume, since
both 12-9dB and 16-9dB generate very unpleasant and loud signal at
my usual quarter volume level. If I were to playback 20khz at levels
over 100 dB and still wouldn't be able to hear it, would it mean that
it's the same as if I don't hear anything at all? Sound still can damage
ears even though you don't hear it, IIRC.

PS 12-3dB from headphones at quarter volume level can be heard clearly
from 5m away! On the other hand, 12-0dB sample seems to be either
broken, or my system can't playback it - I head very high
lower-frequency noise when playing it (resampling problem, maybe?), of
course at good range away from headphones.

PPS my head hurts :( Enough with experiments for today. I don't
recommend anyone to toy with these 0dB samples..

--

Vladimir