> The Mia now appears to work every time I boot up,
> but I only managed to do this by disabling the
> built in Intel sound card in the BIOS. Not an
> ideal solution.

Sound like you might just need to index the alsa modules so they load in a
specific order.  Automations scripts might be working in strange ways.  udev /
discover / ... plus mixer restoration.  It could just depend on which card get
hits first in terms of restoring mixer settings, and/or loading modules.

Perhaps something like this in your configuration would help.  Modify to use
your specific cards.  You don't have to disable the card in the bios.  At least
in a perfect world.

/etc/modprobe.d/(whatever yours is called, alsa, alsa-base, alsa_custom)
#----- START -----
alias   char-major-116      snd
alias   char-major-14       soundcore

options snd                 major=116       cards_limit=3

# This ensures that my onboard soundcard is card 0,
# and therefor the default(unless overridden).
options snd-atiixp          index=0

# It seems to get assigned in sequence
# whether I use it or even want it.
options snd-atiixp-modem    index=1

options snd-usb-audio       index=2

alias   snd-card-0          snd-atiixp
alias   sound-slot-0        snd-card-0
alias   sound-service-0-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-0-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-0-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-0-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-0-12  snd-pcm-oss

alias   snd-card-1          snd-atiixp-modem
alias   sound-slot-1        snd-card-1
alias   sound-service-1-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-1-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-1-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-1-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-1-12  snd-pcm-oss

alias   snd-card-2          snd-usb-audio
alias   sound-slot-2        snd-card-2
alias   sound-service-2-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-2-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-2-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-2-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-2-12  snd-pcm-oss
#----- END -----

/home/user/.asoundrc
#----- START -----
pcm.atiixp {
   type hw
   card 0
}
ctl.atiixp {
   type hw
   card 0
}

pcm.atiixp-modem {
   type hw
   card 1
}
ctl.atiixp-modem {
   type hw
   card 1
}

pcm.usb_audio {
   type hw
   card 2
}
ctl.usb_audio {
   type hw
   card 2
}

# MODIFY this if you don't want card 0 to be your DEFAULT
# NOTE: may only work on apps that use alsa natively.
defaults.pcm.card 0
# Otherwise you need to modify your indexing
# to make your primary card 0,
# which doesn't have to be your onboard sound.

HTH,
James