> > I have:
> > Guitar -> Behringer Xenyx mixer -> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 RCA inputs
> >
> > When the setup is sitting there, idle and active, there is a very very
> > high-pitched light squeal coming from the PC speakers.  It's so
> > high-pitched that only myself and so far two other people I've had
> > listen can hear it.  However, when I touch my hand to the guitar
> > strings, the squeal completely disappears.
> >
>   Is it possible that there is a feed back interaction between the speakers
> and the guitar strings?
> Hope this may help
> Tom

Sometimes guitar strings sympathetically vibrate with various electronics.
Like fourescent lighting.  You might check there first.  Does it stop if you
turn out the lights?

One other thing to consider is that guiter needs a High-Z input.  i.e. Input
impedence == Mega Ohms, not Kilo Ohms.  Like the DI of a microphone preamp.  It
might be that your mixer isn't doing this for you and that is the source of the
issue.  Alsamixer might have an option for High-Z input.  But it probably
wouldn't apply to RCA jacks.  Does that card have 1/4" plugs?  TRS / TS?

I'm not a guitar player, so I not up on all things guitar.  But hopefully some
of this helps.

- James