> When I do "arecord -d 10 -f S16_LE -r 48000 -c 2
> -t wav foobar.wav" and I literally put one of the
> speaker at full volume in one of my ears I can
> hear a very vere low volume version of myself.

That's always a good sign.

> _REFOUT=High-Z

High-Z is high impedence(Mega Ohms).  Generally meant for guitars that plug
directly in for recording.  Put that on a mic and if you don't have awesome
gain, it's gonna make that signal very weak.  If you can change that setting,
then do.  That is if you're not playing electric guitar as the input source.

$ aumix -q

That's what I normally use to show me my settings.  Mic + iGain need to have
values other than 0.  At least that how it used to work for me.  Aumix doesn't
seem to play well with multiple soundcards.  So I don't use it much anymore.

$ amixer scontents

A bit verbose, but it should give you some details.  Check out the Capture,
Mic, and Mic Boost settings.

$ alsactl store (or restore)

To save or restore whatever settings you've adjusted.  My distro(debian) checks
for these stored settings before it'll even think of restoring them from some
other app like aumix.  Basically if /etc/asound.state exists, mixer settings
are restored from there.

$ alsamixer -c 0

To adjust mixer settings the alsa way(F1 for hotkey list).  For some settings,
it's the only way to access them.  At least that was the case for some
headphone jacks on dell laptops.

HTH