> Can anyone recommend a PCCard/Cardbus soundcard, or possibly a
> USB card supported by alsa and which you've been able to run with
> low latency?

The USB bus speed probably isn't going to ensure low latency.  Most USB
soundcards seem limited to two channels and 48kHz.  I'd recommend a
PCCard/Cardbus or Firewire device.

I also have some M-Audio devices.  They sound good and have linux drivers.  My
Mobile Pre which is USB doesn't sound as good as my Delta 44 which is PCI.  But
still sounds loads better than the onboard soundcard of my laptop.

Is there any reason you're wanting to use something other than the onboard
soundcard?  Aside from most of them sounding about as low end as one can get.
I'm gonna assume that your java is compiled, and not interpreted at run time.
And that you've stripped your system down to ensure low latency.  No autofs,
dbus, avahi, apache, mysql, exim, cups, proftp, cron, atd, portmap, nfs, ....
running while you're making said demo.  And that audio has been given realtime
permissions at the user level.  Plus a low latency kernel.