> I reconfigured the alsa-driver package like this
>
> ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel,usb-caiaq --with-sequencer=yes
> --with-moddir=/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-rt/updates/alsa

try adding a --prefix=/usr in there.  Also since you're specifying a non
default modules location, you'll probably need to run depmod -ae.  And when
inserting the modules you might even need to use insmod /full/path/to/modules.
I used to get by with that if I insmod'd the modules from alsa-driver/modules/.
 Although autoloading doesn't quite work that way, so you have to insmod them
in a specific order.

To avoid those headaches, just use --prefix=/usr and let it over write whatever
got installed with the kernel/distro by default.  Much simpler.  Although
potentially screwing things up if the old works better than the new.  But it's
not like it's not going to boot if you screwed up the audio.  Possible perhaps,
likely, probably not.

HTH