Hi,
   I've got an older PPC-based Mac Mini. No one was using it so after
sitting for a year unpowered I blew away OS X and put Gentoo on it.
The install went well and sound is working (sort of) but I'm having
some Alsa problems.

   First, please note that my version of Alsa is a bit old but it is
what the kernel seems to have provided. 1.0.16 is masked for Power PC.
However if I need to unmask it - if it's known to be safe - then I'll
do that before going too much further. Thanks.

1) In alsamixer I get binary controls and PCM but no master volume
control. Is this normal for this driver? That created a small problem
in MythTV until I changed the mixer settings in that app.

2) The real problem is that when shutting the machine down it hangs at
'Unloading Alsa modules' and never completes shutdown. At this point
the network is down so I cannot log in and see what's going on. Is
this a known issue or a config problem on my end?

   System info attached below.

Cheers,
Mark

MacMini ~ # uname -a
Linux MacMini 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 #3 SMP Fri Apr 18 10:23:01 PDT 2008 ppc
7447A, altivec supported PowerMac10,2 GNU/Linux
MacMini ~ #

MacMini ~ # cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.15 (Tue Nov 20
19:16:42 2007 UTC).
MacMini ~ #

MacMini ~ # cat /etc/modules.d/alsa
# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
MacMini ~ #

MacMini ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                139656  2
drm                    80572  3 radeon
ipv6                  266452  12
snd_powermac           43392  0
lirc_streamzap         14116  0
lirc_dev               13704  1 lirc_streamzap
usbhid                 31620  0
snd_aoa_codec_toonie     2756  2
snd_aoa_fabric_layout    12328  0
snd_aoa                17632  2 snd_aoa_codec_toonie,snd_aoa_fabric_layout
snd_aoa_i2sbus         21028  1
snd_pcm                83112  2 snd_powermac,snd_aoa_i2sbus
snd_timer              22632  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9128  1 snd_pcm
snd                    52296  7
snd_powermac,snd_aoa_codec_toonie,snd_aoa_fabric_layout,snd_aoa,snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7144  1 snd
snd_aoa_soundbus        5924  2 snd_aoa_fabric_layout,snd_aoa_i2sbus
ohci1394               35024  0
ieee1394               92464  1 ohci1394
ehci_hcd               33356  0
ohci_hcd               33188  0
usbcore               149208  5 lirc_streamzap,usbhid,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
ssb                    32356  0
uninorth_agp            9516  1
agpgart                33216  2 drm,uninorth_agp
MacMini ~ #