Try:

speaker-test -c 2 -D hw:0

where hw:# is the number of your card as it shows in /proc/asound/cards.

snd-ice1712 is the driver.  With a Delta 44 myself.  Pulse-audio
doesn't play nice with it, so disable that if reasonable.  Most apps I
use interface with alsa or jackd directly, so I just leave pulse audio
as it came with ubuntu.  Semi working, but mostly annoying.  Complete
with re-indexing the alsa drivers so that ice1712 is card 0 to get it
working initially.  Even if pauvcontrol says my only output option is
dummy out or HDMI out from my video card (snd-hda-intel).  But
probably not your issue, so I'll stop rambling.

- James