It depends on what you need.  A majority of the cheap USB interfaces
are USB 1.x and only do 2 channels.  USB 2.x only recently got an
audio standard (< 5 years) and devices that are starting to use that.
With USB 3.x already being out in the wild of sorts.  IMO, if you need
more than 2 channels, you're better off with a firewire device (for
now).  And yes, they cost a good chunk of money as many of them
include microphone preamps.  At $$$ per channel.  Unless you already
have gear than can deliver 5.1 input over optical cable, you're
probably going to have to chunk out some change.  Even at $50 a
channel, 4x channels is $200-ish.

If you have line level inputs and don't need microphone preamps, you
might have a few options.  A used Delta 44 (PCI) runs about $100 USD
on craigslist and is fairly well supported driver wise.  Although
pulse audio still kind of sucks at a default configuration for it.
And various versions of alsamixer seem to disagree with the hardware
specs more often than not.  Bit it's 4 line level inputs and 4 line
level outputs (24/96) on a budget and works fine under linux.  But it
depends on the budget.  It's 1/4" connectors ONLY.  Insert external
microphone preamp(s), and external headphone preamp(s) to use it like
most OTHER interfaces, plus cables and adapters and whatnot.  If you
don't already have a lot of that stuff.  You're going to be looking at
some $$$.  Or squiggly LLL in your case.

Not that I see how any of this is an alsa issue.  Until you have
questions on a specific device.  There's other websites with forums
that discuss various interfaces and whatnot.  I have an M-Audio Mobile
Pre (USB 1.x, 2 channels in, 2 channels out) and it works fine under
linux with alsa (usb class compliant).  I also have a Delta 44 and it
works fine, with a little extra configuration in some cases.

HTH,
- James