Well many source packages default to /usr/local/

Many distros default to /usr/

And the distros IGNORE /usr/local/ unless otherwise told.  It's not a
compile thing, it's a runtime thing.  Of course you could always run
things with the full paths /usr/local/bin/alsamixer and such.  But if
you add the location in $PATH, it'll find it.  But if you use the
default /usr/local/ it might look for and load the distros version
from /usr/ first.

So I generally overwrite the distro's versions.  i.e. make install and
--prefix=/usr.  Versus building debs and installing it that way which
is the "preferred" way to do thing.  But mainly because I can never
recall the fakeroot debian/binary stuff to make debs off the top of my
head.  And I don't always have networking setup to google it at the
stage that I'm installing alsa.  But I don't do enough from source
stuff to really consider my setup a different distro.  Just customized
per say.  If only for the optimization of not having to look through
1,000 drivers for the 1 that is actually used.  And media players with
CPU specific optimizations are always nice.

As a side note, alsa is in the 2.6 kernel tree.  Are we on 2.8 yet?
So if you compile a recent kernel, you automagically get a recent alsa
version with it.  Or if your distro offers a recent kernel.  It's done
for you.  No need to re-invent the wheel as previously said.  But
sometimes your distro doesn't package things in a way that you want to
use them.  i.e. Timidity with sequencer support.  Jackd with sequencer
support.  Alsa with OSS emulation.  And other fine tuning type needs.
Or your distro is on such an ancient kernel, that stuff just doesn't
work at all given the lack of age of your hardware versus the copious
amounts of age in your kernel version.

- James