Hi Pierre Habraken!

 On 2011.06.21 at 16:07:51 +0200, Pierre Habraken wrote next:

> The contents of /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/hw_params looks very
> similar to the one displayed by aplay -v. I assume that aplay gets its
> data from /proc...

Yes, there is no need to look there if you are using aplay -v; it's
handy when you are using something else to play and want to check card
state.

> I don't know what exactly do pulseaudio and I don't like using things
> the operation of which I do not understand. Also, I read a lot of
> negative things about pulseaudio. So I've deactivated it.
>
> Thanks again for your help.

Well, it's better to try for yourself instead of blindly turning it off
:)
Some people do have reasons to turn it off, for example because of buggy
sound driver which causes troubles with pulse (which tries to use some
advanced features), or because it interferes with some audio processing
applications. But mostly it's just something that takes the blame,
because it's "default" component of modern linux desktops and people
often blame it even if the real cause of trouble is elsewhere.

The main reason to use pulseaudio is comfort for desktop usage; mixing
multiple software streams from various application with per-application
volume controls that restores state over reboot and guaranteed audio
quality regardless of streams that are played back (like, you can lock
it to use your audio card in 24/96 mode only), and ability to move
streams between outputs and cards (like analog/digital output, usb
headset, bluetooth audio, sending audio over network etc) on the fly.
You can check list of features in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio#Features to see if there is
something you like, or on official wiki page
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio

There is no reason to use pulse if you are satisfied with current setup,
however lot of people like its features.

--

Vladimir