Hello list,

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug seems to be down, so I'll
try my luck here. Sorry if this was reported before.

Something seemingly random powers down the internal speakers on my
ThinkPad, sometimes after hours, sometimes after minutes. Headphones
always work and the system beep is still played through the speakers if
no headphones are connected. I tried to add various options for the
snd-hda-intel module but nothing fixes this. After a few hours of
tinkering I took a diff of the output of alsa-info.sh after a fresh
reload of the driver and immediately after the speakers were turned off.
The only difference is in the power state of this node. The power setting
and actual change from D0 to D3.

Node 0x1f [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400501: Stereo
  Pincap 0x00000010: OUT
  Pin Default 0x901701f0: [Fixed] Speaker at Int N/A
    Conn = Analog, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3 D3cold
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0

I can temporarily fix the problem with
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x1f SET_POWER_STATE 0
instead of reloading the module, but I would much rather prefer a
permanent solution.

As I don't know the habits of this list for attaching logs and debug
information, I'll try to keep it short. If you need more information,
just let me know.

Extract from alsa-info.sh:
ThinkPad T410, Model 2522K3G, Firmware 6IET83WW (1.43 )
Arch Linux x86_64, Kernel 3.4.8-1
ALSA 1.0.25
Loaded ALSA modules: snd_hda_intel, thinkpad_acpi
Codec: Conexant CX20585
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x14f15069
Subsystem Id: 0x17aa214c
Revision Id: 0x100302

Module options I tried in various combinations:
model=thinkpad|ideapad|auto
enable_msi=1
position_fix=1|2|3
power_save_controller=N