> On April 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM chris hermansen <clherman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Andrew, list:
>
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Andrew RT <andrew2...@flight.us> wrote:
> >> On April 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM Andrew RT <andrew2...@flight.us> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi, guys
> >>
> >> I'm on Ubuntu Lucid, 2.6.32-45-generic, had audio working up until I
> >> pursued new alsa driver a couple of days ago.
> [...]
> >>
> >> By the way I tried to revert to official alsa packages and failed
> >> miserably; thus, there seems to be no turning back
> >>
> >> Please help!
> >>

> > Bump.
> >
> > I've got a disastrous loss of audio on my main system.  Anyone have a clue?
>
> You certainly have my sympathy!
>
> Lucid / 2.6.32 kernel is pretty old; can I ask some dumb questions?
>
> Do you use pulse audio or bare-bones Alsa?

I think I'm using pulse. Also jack.  jack suspends pulseaudio, I believe, when
it runs.

> If Alsa:
>
> - what happens when you do a "sudo aplay -l"?

card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 0: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 1: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

My loopback device is set up when I manually insert the module ( "modprobe
snd-aloop").  But it boots up without any snd modules initially.

> - what happens when you do a "sudo aplay -L"?

null
sysdefault:CARD=Loopback
    Loopback, Loopback PCM
    Default Audio Device

> - what do you see in /proc/asound?

The directory has: card0  cards  devices  Loopback  modules  pcm  seq  timers
version

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Loopback       ]: Loopback - Loopback
                      Loopback 1

There's just the loopback device.

> - do you see any errors in your system log file about audio?

there are no recent errors, with the most recent recompiling.

Like I said, the kernel module file "snd-hda-intel.ko" is missing from my
latest /lib/modules/.    I believe that's the file that would set up my audio
card.  But how to generate it?  I'm assuming it was there before I removed my
pre-compiled alsa-utils,etc, to make way for my local build (?).  But then my
local build failed to generate the new version of this file (?)

> --
> Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com
>
> C'est ma façon de parler.

Et bien — c'est ma façon de me taire.