On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 08:46:04 -0700, chris hermansen wrote:
> Torstein and list:
>
> Wait!  this is still weird.  Please see at bottom...
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM, chris hermansen <clherman...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Torstein, list:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Torstein Hegge <he...@resisty.net> wrote:
> >> What does dmesg / /var/log/kern.log say when you plug in the device with
> >> the v3.9-rc6 kernel?
> >
> > Hmm things are getting interesting.  Yesterday, when I had the problem
> > with missing altset 2, as far as I can remember, I had plugged in the
> > Schiit before booting and switched the Schiit to USB once booted.
> >
> > Today below I booted the machine, switched the Schiit to usb input,
> > started up a terminal window, checked the kernel version, tailed the
> > /var/log/kern.log, plugged the Schiit in, then checked the
> > /proc/asound/Interface/stream0 file.
> >
> > Despite the error messages when plugging, it seems I have altset 2 back!
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I tried to replicate the same conditions as previously, ie plug before
> > boot, but now I seem to have the altset 2 back.
> >
> > I tried playing a few tracks at different speeds / bit rates and all
> > seems fine now, ie the 24 bit files get converted to 32 bit and not 16
> > bit on altset 2.
> >
> > It would be fantastic to consider this fixed but I'm a bit lost as to
> > how my altset disappeared for a session...
>
> After I sent this, I got to thinking, maybe I did not re-plug the
> Schitt while the machine was off... so:
>
> I shut down the machine, unplugged the Schiit, switched it to TOSLINK,
> plugged the USB back in, and rebooted.
>
> At this point I have not yet switched the Schiit back to USB, but what
> I have in /proc/asound/Interface/stream0 is now:
>
> clh@temuko:~$ cat /proc/asound/Interface/stream0
> CMEDIA Schiit USB Interface at usb-0000:00:13.2-3, high speed : USB Audio
>
> Playback:
>   Interface 1
>     Altset 1
>     Format: S16_LE
>     Channels: 2
>     Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
>     Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 192000
>     Data packet interval: 125 us
>
> Capture:
>   Interface 4
>     Altset 1
>     Format: S16_LE
>     Channels: 2
>     Endpoint: 8 IN (ASYNC)
>     Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 192000
>     Data packet interval: 125 us
> clh@temuko:~$
>
> ie no S32_LE altset on either playback or capture.  Switching the
> Schiit back to USB does not change this.

The USB or S/PDIF input setting on the Schiit shouldn't affect the
behavior of the USB interface, it just selects the DAC source.

But I don't quite follow what you did different between your tests.
Plugging in after boot works fine. Keeping the USB plugged in over a
reboot works fine. Plugging in the USB while the laptop is off and then
booting gives a missing alternate setting? Or did I get those last two
mixed up?

Torstein