The behavior is when I use chrome I sporadically get the trigger. Very
likely its the Flash or other system sounds which is causing it.

My intended use is for a HiFi music system. I have flac files and I would
like to use them with my DAC and Amp.

Do you have to do anything with ~/.asoundrc? BTW, I am not running pulse.

I will get Guayadeque a try. I was using VLC player and selected the sound
card.