My current, broken kernel:

Working kernel:
> uname -a
> Linux avignon 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08
> UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I still have Debian kernels 3.13-1 and 3.12-1 installed so I booted with
each of them. 3.13-1 exhibits the same problems as 3.14-2.

3.12-1 works properly! ***

tested with aplay:
aplay -D plughw:DragonFly <file>.wav

uname -srv
Linux 3.12-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.12.9-1 (2014-02-01)

Devices 'iec598:DragonFly' and 'hw:DragonFly' work if the source is 24
bit.

> I don't know why this is, but I spent a long time trying to figure
> out what was "wrong" with my configuration, the kernel, the Alsa
> driver, etc etc when I finally in desperation plugged the card into
> one of the other USB ports and POOF all worked fine.
>
> So, if you have a different set of USB ports or a different machine
> to try, you might want to give that a go first.
My machine is a Thinkpad X200 with dock. I tested USB ports on both
sides of the Thinkpad and the dock ports. Also I tested without any
other USB devices present but none of that helped. I just thought of
this.. maybe I should test on my monitor's USB hub. I lack the
necessary USB A-B cable at the moment.

I tested using Foobar on Win7 in my university's library on a Dell
machine and the DAC worked properly. I don't have other Linux machines
at the moment to test with.

> Beyond that, I have a completely vanilla configuration (no messing
> with Alsa configuration files).  I continue to let Pulse Audio live
> on my system, and the default sound card is the Intel stuff delivered
> with the machine.  So all alerts and system audio go through that
> subsystem, and only Guayadeque uses the Dragonfly.
I don't have pulse installed. I did have pulse installed before I got
the DAC but I uninstalled it during testing of this issue.

I have jack installed but it isn't running. I installed jack during
testing of this issue and I learned something about it: jack uses
padded s32le for 24 bit devices. If the device doesn't support s32le it
falls back to s16le. 'true' 24 bit in jack is currently unavailable:
http://linux-audio.com/jack/
jack wouldn't work with the DAC in any configuration except for 96000
kHz 16 bit, which is interesting. I didn't include my jack results
earlier because it is seems irrelevant.

> Also, generally I plug in the Dragonfly after the machine is booted,
> so all other audio configuration is probably pretty stable and
> configured by the time that happens.
I have tried both methods with the newer kernels but neither works.
The working 3.12 kernel is with device plugged in from boot.

> Let me know if you want me to collect any more data for you from my
> end.
My lsusb -v for DragonFly in Debian kernel 3.12-1 is identical to
Ubuntu kernel 3.13.0-32.

My lsusb -v for DragonFly in Debian kernel 3.14-2 has different section
order and an extra section to Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.

Additional section:
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                20
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
        bTerminalLink           5
        bDelay                  1 frames
        wFormatTag              1 PCM

Where can I view and submit bug reports for snd_usb_audio?
I've been trying to figure that out to determine if something is already
filed for this but I cannot seem to locate the proper place.

I tried to test Ubuntu 14.04.1 but the USB drive didn't boot. I'll try
again.

Thanks!

Adam