Robert and list,

On Aug 29, 2014 10:08 PM, "Robert M. Riches Jr." <rm.ric...@jacob21819.net>
wrote:

> Trying to get sound working on TinyCore 5, 64-bit kernel, 32-bit
> userspace with a Haswell i5-4690 CPU and an Asus H97M-Plus
> motherboard.  My primary need is at least one channel of audio
> output from VLC.
>
> Kernel modules appear loaded.  "aplay -l" and "aplay -L" show one
> card, ALC887-VD.  Alsamixer appears to show an HDMI device with
> no controls and another device (ALC-887, I think) with controls.
> I unmuted and turned up the gain on master on that second device
> in order to get any sound output.  Oh, and with aplay and a WAV
> file, I have to use "plughw:1", because "hw:1" refused to do
> single channel.

What kind of WAV file is it? What happens if you try a stereo 16 bit 44.1
kHz WAV file?

What happens if you use the default output device?

Why can't you use a newer kernel?

If it works with stereo and you need a mono signal out, can you fabricate a
different cable?

> With aplay on a WAV file, I get scratchy sounds (similar to
> pulsed white noise or someone scratching fingernails on a
> microphone screen) out of the headphone jack.

It would be interesting to look at /proc/asound/Intel files while playing
something that sounds scratchy. I have had scratchy sounds in the past when
the driver didn't properly deal with the bit rate and depth.

Also any related messages in the /var/log/syslog file?

> Googling didn't find anything that appeared relevant.
>
> Where could I find whether that kernel (3.8.13) supports Haswell
> HDMI audio and/or the H97M's audio?

What about just trying a newer kernel?

> Any pointers to tricks to maybe get the existing sound devices
> working?
>
> Buying another sound card is acceptable if necessary.  Any
> suggestions for something < US$50 that is old enough that is sure
> to work with the 3.8.13 kernel?  It will be feeding a church PA
> system but studio-quality sound is not necessary.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert
>
> --------
> Details:
> --------
>
> Output of "uname -a":
>
>     Linux box 3.8.13-tinycore64 #777 SMP Fri Oct 18 15:13:45 UTC 2013
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> Output of "aplay -l":
>
>     **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>     card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD
Analog]
>       Subdevices: 1/1
>       Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>     card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD
Digital]
>       Subdevices: 1/1
>       Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Output of "aplay -L":
>
>     null
>         Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>     pulse
>         PulseAudio Sound Server
>     default:CARD=Intel
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         Default Audio Device
>     sysdefault:CARD=Intel
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         Default Audio Device
>     front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         Front speakers
>     surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>     surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>     surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>     surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>     surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
>         7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
speakers
>     iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>         HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Digital
>         IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
>
> Output of "lsmod":
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> snd_seq_dummy          12288  0
> snd_seq_oss            24576  0
> snd_seq_midi_event     12288  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                36864  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device         12288  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            36864  0
> snd_mixer_oss          16384  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_hda_codec_realtek    49152  1
> snd_hda_codec_hdmi     28672  1
> snd_hda_intel          28672  0
> snd_hda_codec          65536  3
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
> snd_hwdep              12288  1 snd_hda_codec
> snd_pcm                57344  4
snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
> snd_timer              20480  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                    45056 12
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer