"
However, all (audio) applications freeze until my program (which reads
from the pipe) begins to run. This is expected behaviour of named
pipes.

I believe I can solve this by modifying the PCM 'default' dynamically.
"

- well, to me it sounds like your "overall" application should be a
multi-threaded one - one of the threads reads audio stream, waiting for data as
necessary (you call it "freeze") while other threads check the status of the
audio reading thread.

Your whole IPC, including over the network part, can be implemented (or, say,
prototyped) using a scripting language and utilities like 'cat', 'netcat' - the
latter for the networking part.

Regards,
  Sergei.