Kip and list,

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 2:34 PM Kip Warner <k...@thevertigo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2021-11-06 at 22:13 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > It depends rather on your system setup and desktop environment.
> > Usually the device file permissions are managed by logind and
> > modified dynamically at login via ACL.
> >
> > As it's no kernel issue, better to ask your distro.
>
> It probably is a distro issue. But at least we know now that it works
> and it's just a matter of fiddling with permissions. Thanks Takashi.

Some distros prefer permission changes related to alsa tools and some
advise against it.  For example on the Arch Linux wiki
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture>

User privileges

Usually, local users have permission to play audio and change mixer levels.

To allow remote users to use ALSA, you need to add
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Users_and_groups#Group_management> those
users to the audio group, however this is not recommended by default (see
note below).
*Note:* Adding users to the audio group allows direct access to devices.
Keep in mind, that this allows applications to exclusively reserve output
devices. This may break software mixing or fast-user-switching on
multi-seat systems. Therefore, adding a user to the audio group is *not*
recommended by default; unless you specifically need to [1]
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/TheAudioGroup>.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.