http://www.malaysiakini.com/frame/eNoNwlEKgDAIANAb6Qj66TIiw6FBU3LM69fj6VpxIVYV3DKGu0H3B/ntalsSj9ZO/M+kElLeQkxpEBofd58VCA==

I feel so sad when i read the news about the boy.
i don't think the boy guilty, he just try his best to
give his family a better life.

he jailed because he can't effort to pay the fined
rite? what if this thing happen to a 'rich family'?
just a piece of cake for rich family?

they can effort to pay the fined but for a poor guy
that worked so hard to help his family what is the
point to come out fine people $$? to scare 'not so
rich' family?

Posted by: Pv_Ice at May 11, 2005 12:44 PM
If the decision to sent him to jail is not to punish
him then why sent him there? Why not sent those whom
they want to punish?

Another thing, was the prosecution so intent on
prosecution him as an example that they completely
ignore his situation? What about the judge, [ DELETED
BY JEFF OOI - you may be persecuted for contempt of
court ]

Posted by: twotablet at May 11, 2005 12:46 PM
I wanted to cry when I read the story in the newspaper
today. Like Nightcaller, if you were to start ad hoc
help this boy drive, let me have the account nos.

The boy left school after Form 2 to help his mother
and to make sure his siblings could continue going to
school.

May God bless this boy and his family.

Posted by: ami at May 11, 2005 12:46 PM
How many people understand why the MB bailed him out?
The answer is because otherwise it would involve the
challenge in constitutional rights and the NS program
to rectify the situation. Bolehland really boleh lah.

Posted by: Bigjoe at May 11, 2005 12:54 PM
With all due respect,

The root of the problem in the first place is
organising a stupid camp in the jungle for no bloody
purpose, and then forcing the youth of Malaysia to get
together, where invariably, one rotten apple screws up
the whole barrel.

I know that it would be nice to pay up for the poor
guy, but this does not solve the problem. Life is not
fair, and he should take his lumps - callous as that
may sound. What about the other cases which do not
make the news? I am sure that plenty of other cases go
unreported.

Any finally, why are the politicians helping someone
to get out of jail after he has broken the law? I know
circumstances are mitigating, but it still does not
change the fact that he broke the law.

Therefore, the law is at issue here, and the way to
change it is to either vote someone in who will change
it, or to pressure the existing lawmakers via
petitions or letters to repeal such a law.

As far as I am concerned: forcing anybody to do what
they do not want to do is NOT FAIR!

PS: How come I have yet to see any newspaper reports
on the children of politicians in those
'concentration' camps? I thought leadership is by
example?

Posted by: the65thsquare at May 11, 2005 12:57 PM
This boy has real character, doesn't need the NS to
make him a better person. He placed higher priority on
helping his family to earn a living. He doesn't
believe in wearing new uniform, mixing with other
peers who may be smoking and has even less direction
than him. His important goal is to earn a few dollars
to allow his 2 younger brothers and his single mother
decent meals and proper schooling.

For that he is being sent to jail. This is Najib's
mess. When someone is down on his luck, punish him
further. Is this Cemerlang, Gemilang and Terbilang??

Posted by: Quest at May 11, 2005 12:59 PM
I think the boy has gone thru enough hardship that he
doesn't need Khidmat Negara. Khidmat Negara would seem
like a vacation after what he has gone thru for years.
The fact the he works so that he can supplement his
mother's income is enough to prove his good character.
Unlike so many of his peers who prefer to lepak after
their SPM rather than helping their parents around the
house.

Posted by: serdangmom at May 11, 2005 01:04 PM
I bet this boy can't help but to shed a tear when
having nice food during the camp when his family at
home struggling to get a decent food. I wonder how did
the management pick the name coz this boy has dropped
put from school years ago. why did my sister who
completed till form 5 was not selected? and so many
other teens out there. apa sistem yang mereka pakai?

Perlis is such a small state and yet ada lagi menteri,
wakil rakyat, pegawai kebajikan, pegawai pendidikan,
ketua kampung did not do anything to help this family.
why was he allowed to drop out of school when there's
plenty of fund are able to help him? sia-sia ada KLCC
and Sepang F1 kalau masih ada yang berhenti sekolah
kerana kemiskinan..... :(

Posted by: sherrina at May 11, 2005 01:15 PM
shame on you all bn voters!!

you put them at highest place and then crying when
they do all this stupid things.

Posted by: rosman at May 11, 2005 01:34 PM
Spot on sherrina. How can we allow our youth to
dropout from school due to poverty?

And yet we can spend millions for things like new lamp
posts to replace the perfectly function old lamp
posts.

Posted by: Harry at May 11, 2005 01:37 PM
Thanks jeff for the update. I think there are more
'Ahmad Harizal' out there whom work for the family and
not turn up in the NS programme. Either the govt take
this case as trial to see the people feedback or to
show that they are serious about NS. I think Ahmad
Harizal is very patriotic indeed. He shows towards
family first. Now, what will happen to him when he
will undergo the 3 month training. The family will
have to live with rm150 for 3 month. If he's lucky,
after NS he will continue his job. What if not? what
if the job taken by somebody? Would the MB care again?
I doubt that.

Posted by: mahaza at May 11, 2005 01:47 PM
You all should see the picture of Ahmad Harizal being
led away in handcuffs in today's edition of the Sun.
Being handcuffed like some common criminal, and yet
all he did was to try and help his mother make ends
meet. The system failed Ahmad Harizal, just as it
failed so many people in the past. However, it is the
poor and the downtrodden who are failed the most by
the system, and we need to change the system. People
like Ahmad Shahidan, and the DPP are part of the
system, and they need to be removed.

Posted by: WilliamL at May 11, 2005 01:49 PM
Malaysia - The Joker maker...

They caught the poor boy and showed all the people
that, this is the end of a boy who is poor and have to
stop schoolling at form 2 and was caught with the
possibility that he doesn't have a good channel to the
information outside the world. (RM150 + RM30 per month
to get a comp or internet?)

As i said previously, Northern Malaysia is still quite
a neglected territory, there's no surprise why PAS
could win them easily last time...

Posted by: Vertebrato at May 11, 2005 02:04 PM
the rich fellas kids also got go camp mah. their camps
outing different wan. could be in UK this year.

If they r serious in prosecuting and making others toe
the line, they shld not hv taken in this poor boy.
show us that u can bring in rich fellas' kids and we
will respect u MSIA!

bullying one small poor boy and sending out a msg to
the rest makes me wanna puke!

Or probably this is one way for the MB to shine and
show his soft side in paying for the fine. could this
hv been a charade?

so what now? he deserves a public apology for showing
him being handcuffed for some offence he might not hv
understood completely.

TNS again!

Posted by: groo at May 11, 2005 02:28 PM
We must remember who the prosecution team members are.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/5/11/nation/10920287&sec=nation

Attorney-General Abdul Gani Patail, when contacted,
said if there was any truth to Ahmaf Hafizal’s story,
he would apply for a revision of the sentence.

“We have accepted appeals from numerous NS dodgers who
proved that they missed the programme because they
needed to support their families or had sick parents
to look after.

“We did not prosecute them,” said Gani when told of
the youth’s predicament.

Deputy public prosecutor Norfiza Mohamad Noordin urged
the magistrate to pass a sentence that would serve to
remind other teenagers to be responsible when called
up for NS.

- the Star

Q1. Excuse me, but shouldn't the prosecution do their
homework before embarassing themselves, Najib and the
entire country with this silly escapade? There is a
Chinese saying that goes, killing the chicken to scare
the monkey. That's exactly what happened here, the kid
was being victimised and made a convinient example to
others. Note that the deputy public prosecutor urged
for a sentence?

There wouldn't have been a need for a revision of
sentence if the AG and his deputy public prosecutor
did their proper homework before hauling the kid to
court, and the judge (can't blame her though) should
have been more thorough and why wasn't the poor kid
even represented in court at all?

I need some input from lawyers here. Was the kid told
to waive his right to an attorney? Why wasn't any
legal counsel offered?

Paying for his fines or taking his place in jail is
not the solution. The fact is whether this kid could
have been exempted from NS. Like the Attorney General
said, if the kid's predicament is true, and the facts
do check out and the media wasn't lying through its
teeth and the mother and children are really poor and
that's really their house - that means that the deputy
public prosecutor is INEPT.

End of story.

My advice for those kids who DID skip the NS and
ignored the summons? Get yourself a good lawyer. If
you can get a lawyer to challenge the legality of the
Malaysian Youth Service Bill 2003, you have just
helped generations of your peers and saved the country
lots of money.

If not, all you have to do is RM3000 and six months
imprisonment. That's the maximum penalty. I am not
telling our youth to break the law. On the contrary, I
think they should go and learn what they can from
their experience. Afterall, I am aware that if I am
found to incite the kids not to undergo training, it
is an offence that carries the maximum penalty of RM
10,000 fine and/or two years' jail (see link).

http://www.suaram.org/press_release/pr20030618.htm

Apparently, the Bill has basically barred any
disagreements to its inception.

Posted by: Chez1978 at May 11, 2005 02:34 PM
I hope the situation now is not a LPPL (Lan Pa Pa Lan)
case. NS is good for us! But the system adminstrations
going about it is the problem. If they vet, or check
or the boy make a "rayuan" to delay, skip postpone
whatever with these reasons and somebody at the other
end do their job, it wouldn't gone until court case.
They should take a case, like some rich/Datuk
kid,spoilt brat type, or those suburban,middle class
hardcore kids who don't give a fuck what NS about with
stupid/unreasonable excuses. Then maybe we can
sympathise with the NS/gov side. This thing just makes
them look bad. Stupid....plain stupid. Or some hidden
agenda somewhere....

Posted by: mlkview at May 11, 2005 02:44 PM
Poor fella...the megistrate too [ DELETED BY JEFF OOI
- Liable to be found in contempt of court ] RM600 may
be chicken feed for her but it requires 20 working
days for Ahmad Harizal to raise the money.

After the fine or jail he would still not be relieved
of his duty to undergo NS training. What is
this...then he will be fined or jailed again for not
attending the training. Which is the priority now? NS
training or feeding his family. For god sake just drop
his name and get somebody else to go. Can't she think
properly as a human being.

Posted by: PIRANHA at May 11, 2005 02:53 PM
A case of blind justice.

The irony of it is that they tried to make him look
bad - even had his picture (handcuffs and all)in the
papers. But he is now a hero - A shining example of
filial respect and sibiling love.

He should be sent immediately to the nearest Nat.
Service Camp BUT as a PAID instructor, motivator,
teacher, guide and role model. Think of the things he
could teach the other kids and the adults.

The system failed him and his family, but he did not.
Agree with sherrina, where were all theose people
before he dropped out of school ?

Just watch, now everyone will jump on the bandwagon
and show they are trying to do something - complete
with press coverage and the pontificating.

Posted by: PeterP at May 11, 2005 02:54 PM
Just a reminder for everyone, as Jeffooi suggest, you
can't discuss the judgement out of court otherwise you
are liable to charge contempt of court.

But there is no harm if you discuss Monkeyland(TM)
Kangaroo court judgement ;).

Posted by: moo_t at May 11, 2005 03:28 PM

Agreed with all the comments made here.

Ahmad Hafizal Ahmad Fauzi got his priorities right. I
am proud of him.

This mess is created due to the "one size fits all"
policy of the Govt. Usually associated with big media
launch and plenty of speeches by politicians and
implemented with insufficient time for public input
and feedback on implementation details.

Typically, as other policies had been dished out by
our Ministers, it shows lack of sensitivity to special
and differential concerns of the rakyat in general
(except, of course, for the rich and the influential)
and we get peole like Ahmad Hafizal Ahmad Fauzi caught
in a MORAL dilemma.

It is an indictment of the way our bureaucrats put in
place policies that affect the rakyat directly -IE
cold and lack of indepth study and analysis.

One other point:

Jeff mentioned that a representative of the MB paid
off the fine.

As a matter of principle and to ensure govt policy
consistency, the fine should not be from the State
Govt. but rather from private funds, or NGO sources.

Having said that, I think the average Malaysian on the
street would have paid that fine without blinking an
eye. I would personally.

There are many others who share the same fate as Ahmad
Hafizal Ahmad Fauzi.

My heart goes out for him and his family. To be
treated like a criminal is the cruelest cut of all

Posted by: Frank&Honest at May 11, 2005 03:36 PM
We indeed have a situation - now that a precedent's
created to spring him free, what will happen to those
after him who're hauled up? where does one draw the
line on how meritorious is the condition of the
candidate to do so? what will be the message given to
other AWOLs and potential AWOLs?

Yet i am glad he's free and i hope he and his family
can be helped in more ways so that they will have some
breathing space to get up. I think it is the only
decent thing this country can and must do to make
amends for the way he has been apprehended and
displayed, charged and jailed.

My concerns here are:

one, when they thought of going after the errants,
were they thinking all youths are living easy lives?
if yes, they better all sit down and think again
whether that sort of perception is actually harming
our youths' development, for the cavalier manner by
which youth development programs have been rolled out.

two, what is the govt going to do after this with the
rest, now that a precedent is set which is not going
to be that easy to erase? let go and NS becomes a
voluntary service with probably tapering interest, or,
continue to haul them up and one shouldn't be
surprised there will be more of such cases to come.

The NS itself has also been causing administrative
headaches for the education sector, including both
planners and students who enter late. In the light of
this event, it should be reviewed to see if there are
other ways to spend money to achieve its objectives,
with some to spare for poor youths ekeing a miserable
living in extremely difficult conditions, a reality
national planners are apt at missing in their chase of
the glorious and the puffinated.

For Harizal, the state must help alleviate his
family's living conditions. That's the least we can
do.

Posted by: Neil at May 11, 2005 04:48 PM
lesson learned? we must put the NS ahead of family
problem and other thing? even your family member
suffering? just forget about it for 3 months and
happily go holiday with other in the camp for 3 months
and no need to worry about the food because the
government will provide for 'him'

then after 3 months what happen? maybe his other
family member will always be with him in the heaven

Posted by: Pv_Ice at May 11, 2005 04:56 PM
One simple way to do away with the 3-month camp is to
start NS week-ends for all students in the larger
towns where schools can be used for overnight stays.

Suppose we do this from Sec 3; with modules conducted
only once a month until they leave school.

This way, the students have a longer period to mix
around and get to know one another.
For the last year of school, say Tingkat 5 perhaps
there could be a 2-week camp at the end of the school
term.

All those who leave school are no longer required to
attend. Such a scheme will cover perhaps 90% of the
youth and will not create such a situation like what
happened to the poor chappie.

No need to rent expensive camp-sites and solve major
logistics problems and would be a more cost effective
way to instill patriotism among young Malaysians.

Posted by: hjangus at May 11, 2005 05:11 PM

I just wonder what Najib is going to do next with the
NS after this fiasco?

The options are many for him to take... and each would
require a total review of the NS approach.

If I remember right, the NS was started based on a
perception that our youth are becoming more and more
(to paraphrase and in my own words)
- "less patriotic",
-"no concern for the wellbeing of the nation",
-"no respect for elders and political leaders",
- "gravitating to drugs, alcohol and nightclubs",
- "ponting from school or wasting their time in the
malls,"
-" getting involved into small crimes,"
-" lazing in the parks and gardens" and
-"wasting petrol and diesel on SUVs around the
cities".

That may be true for some youth in the cities like in
KL, especially youths of middle and upper middle
class, and those of the rich and influential who had
the time on their hands.

Yet, youths like Ahmad Harizal Ahmad Fauzie and many
others don't fit that mold, and many more like him are
fighting their way out of severe poverty which the
glorious NEP ( that wealth building platform for the
creation of rich umnoputras in the last 30 years) had
left them so far behind.

Posted by: Frank&Honest at May 11, 2005 05:33 PM
The way the NS was promoted, it was going to be the
end all, solve all problems.

Guess now that the NS has been consolidated with nice
contracts handed out, it is time to move to other
deals like using our gold reserves.

Let's face it....we do have some very creative
piratisation operators in Malaysia after many years of
fine-tuning.

Posted by: hjangus at May 11, 2005 05:46 PM
30 postings. I am late

Make sense to help the family pay the 600.

BUT I think looking at a larger issue would be: let
the boy goes to the training. It is good for him I am
sure to have contact with people outside his padi
field. THEN help the family by paying the 30 ringgit
he is suppose to make per month. What is 100 ringgits
to most people especially wealthy politicians?

This way, he is shown on records he fulfils his
responsibilities of serving his country, and to deter
others from evading PKN.

Cindy

Posted by: cindy at May 11, 2005 06:54 PM
there is always an exception to a general rule and
this scenario fits into of them. but then again, gomen
style of doing things are soo rigid, semua kena dpt
kelulusan bertulis dari kementerian, no sense of
empowernment at all.

Posted by: polis at May 11, 2005 07:00 PM
The handling of this thing just reminds me that
Malaysia perhaps maybe just a modern Sultanate. Its
not about laws and systems but about aristocratic
actions and power. They determine the final outcome
and not laws, systems and proceses. Our PM must
realize that he is a Sultan although an elected one.
There is no high qualtiy administrative structure and
system for him to count on. He has never seen what a
proper one given his education and training. In fact
few politician in our country really know what its all
about. Those that have any inkling are long gone dead.
The PM should take a leave of absent and take a course
at Harvard Kennedy School or Cambridge Public Policy
department.

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/JcWolB/TM

Alternatif-Net : A Discussion Forum Focusing on Issues Related to Justice
            Forum Perbincangan Maya Yang Fokus Kepada Isu Keadilan

Disclaimer: Messages sent do not represent the stand of the Barisan Alternatif
(BA) unless otherwise stated

Complaint : Send to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Sub    : Send blank e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Unsub  : Send blank e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links