Bekas CEO HP memuji dan berterima-kasih kepada Islam.
Sebaliknya mengapa UMNO Baru pula segan kepada Islam,
lalu tergamak mencipta Islam Hadhari yang sesat lagi
menyesatkan ???

http://www.islamfortoday.com/hewlettpackard.htm

In praise of Islamic civilization
Extract from a speech by Carly Fiorina, CEO of
Hewlett-Packard.

There was once a civilization that was the greatest in
the world.

It was able to create a continental super-state that
stretched from ocean to ocean, and from northern
climes to tropics and deserts. Within its dominion
lived hundreds of millions of people, of different
creeds and ethnic origins.

One of its languages became the universal language of
much of the world, the bridge between the peoples of a
hundred lands. Its armies were made up of people of
many nationalities, and its military protection
allowed a degree of peace and prosperity that had
never been known. The reach of this civilization’s
commerce extended from Latin America to China, and
everywhere in between.

And this civilization was driven more than anything,
by invention. Its architects designed buildings that
defied gravity. Its mathematicians created the algebra
and algorithms that would enable the building of
computers, and the creation of encryption. Its doctors
examined the human body, and found new cures for
disease. Its astronomers looked into the heavens,
named the stars, and paved the way for space travel
and exploration.

Its writers created thousands of stories. Stories of
courage, romance and magic. Its poets wrote of love,
when others before them were too steeped in fear to
think of such things.

When other nations were afraid of ideas, this
civilization thrived on them, and kept them alive.
When censors threatened to wipe out knowledge from
past civilizations, this civilization kept the
knowledge alive, and passed it on to others.

While modern Western civilization shares many of these
traits, the civilization I’m talking about was the
Islamic world from the year 800 to 1600, which
included the Ottoman Empire and the courts of Baghdad,
Damascus and Cairo, and enlightened rulers like
Suleiman the Magnificent.

Although we are often unaware of our indebtedness to
this other civilization, its gifts are very much a
part of our heritage. The technology industry would
not exist without the contributions of Arab
mathematicians. Sufi poet-philosophers like Rumi
challenged our notions of self and truth. Leaders like
Suleiman contributed to our notions of tolerance and
civic leadership.

And perhaps we can learn a lesson from his example: It
was leadership based on meritocracy, not inheritance.
It was leadership that harnessed the full capabilities
of a very diverse population–that included
Christianity, Islamic, and Jewish traditions.

This kind of enlightened leadership — leadership that
nurtured culture, sustainability, diversity and
courage — led to 800 years of invention and
prosperity.

In dark and serious times like this, we must affirm
our commitment to building societies and institutions
that aspire to this kind of greatness. More than ever,
we must focus on the importance of leadership– bold
acts of leadership and decidedly personal acts of
leadership.

The full text of this speech can be found at the
Hewlett-Packard website at:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/speeches/fiorina/minnesota01.htm

It was delivered on 26 September 2001 in Minneapolis,
Minnesota at a conference whose theme was:
"TECHNOLOGY, BUSINESS AND OUR WAY OF LIFE: WHAT'S
NEXT"

http://mail.yahoo.com

Alternatif-Net : A Discussion Forum Focusing on Issues Related to Justice
            Forum Perbincangan Maya Yang Fokus Kepada Isu Keadilan

Disclaimer: Messages sent do not represent the stand of the Barisan Alternatif
(BA) unless otherwise stated

Complaint : Send to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Sub    : Send blank e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Unsub  : Send blank e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links