For some unfathomably reason amtape "hangs" when forked from a Java program.

I've written a Java program that goes through vaulted tapes and forks amtape
(using Runtime.getRuntime().exec(()), and when a non-existant tape label is
asked for, amtape "hangs".  I cannot figure out why or how to get amtape to
just exit with an error (which I can then handle).

This is with Amanda 3.5.1 on a Ubuntu 18.04 system.

(The Java version is OpenJDK 11.0.13, in case that matters.)

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services